Take wheat and barley, beans and lentils, millet and spelt; put them together in a container and make them into bread for yourself. Ezekiel 4:9
This bread dries out quickly and therefore tastes best when fresh. If you want the bread to last longer, use 1/3 Cup honey, and additional flour as needed, although this modification is not as authentic it does promote shelf life.
Amount: 2 Medium Loaves
Bake: 350° - 35-45 minutes
1. Dissolve yeast with honey in water in a glass measuring
1/4 Cup lukewarm water
2. Blend together in blender until sprouts are well pulverized:
2 Cups hot water (water from soaking grain can be used)
3. Blend together in mixing bowl
1/4 Cup olive oil or melted unslated butter
4. Blend flours together in separate bowl; add half to the moist ingredients:
1 1/2 cups barley flour
5. Blend in proofed yeast and remaining flour.
6. Knead until smooth and elastic, adding1/2 cup or more whole wheat or spelt flour until dough in bread kneader clears sides of bowl or as needed to prevent sticking while hand kneading.
7. Divide dough, shape, let rise, bake, and cool as for regular bread recipes. Brush loaves with water and sprinkle with sesame seeds before baking, if desired.
This recipe is adapted from Sue Gregg's Yeast Breads Book used by permission. Copyright The Urban Homemaker.
According to Sue Gregg, Ezekiel's Bread is providing complete protein, high fiber, and vitamins and minerals for the body. Ezekiel's bread bears a message concerning the need for spiritual renewal. God calls for justice and righteousness among his people. It is also a reminder that God has made complete provision for all our needs, calling us to praise and worship him.<
To receive my free newsletter ON MY HEART which is published twice a month with information, product updates and reviews, delicious recipes and much more in the spirit of Titus Two, click here.
If you haven't tried my blue ribbon winning Marilyn's Famous Whole Wheat Bread Recipe, here is the link to the recipe.
Complimentary copies of our 64 page catalog of products for homemakers is available here.