APPLE RECIPES FOR SALAD, MUFFINS, AND QUICK BREADS
APPLE COFFEE CAKE
1. Preheat oven. Grease or spray baking pan, 11.5 X 8 preferred or 9 X 13 Baking Pan
2. Cook apples with water over medium heat until tender; drain, and coat evenly with cinnamon; set aside:
3. Place in blender; blend on high speed 4-5 minutes until smooth:
1 Cup buttermilk or non-dairy alternative
4. Meanwhile, for topping, blend together in order given with a fork; set aside:
4 TB butter (unsalted preferred)
5. Mix into blender batter thoroughly, but breifly, using blender and or rubber spatula, as needed:
1/2 tsp. salt
6. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Spread apple slices evenly over the top and press into batter slightloy with a fork. Add topping.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 -40 minutes or until knife or toothpick comes clean out of center of cake. Serve cake hot.
APPLE AND FRUIT SALAD with CREAMY YOGURT DRESSING
Dressing, Mix together:
1/2 cup yogurt
Add fruit, raisins, and pecans to dressing mixture. Chill thoroughly before serving. For more color - leave skins on apples and pears.
1 ripe frozen banana, broken in pieces
Using chilled ingredients, blend ingredients in a blender until smooth.
1 egg, beaten
Mix egg, oil, honey and applesauce in a small bowl and set aside. Assemble the dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl and stir to evenly distribute spices and leavening into the flour.
Combine liquid ingredients into dry ingredients with a wire whisk gently. Carefully fold in nuts and raisins if desired and avoid over-mixing the ingredients. Fill oiled or lined muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. Makes 12 muffins.
Pumpkin Cider Bread (Makes 1 loaf)
2 cups fresh pressed apple cider or apple juice
Preheat your oven to 350�F.
In a saucepan combine the apple cider, cinnamon stick, and mulling spices. Boil the mixture until it is reduced to about 1/4 cup and let it cool. If you don't have time to simmer the cider to concentrate the flavors just use 1/4 Cup apple cider.
In a bowl whisk the pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, brown sugar, orange zest, and the cool reduced cider. Into a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda, mace, cinnamon, and ground cloves. Add the chopped walnuts, and stir the batter until it is just combined together. Transfer the batter to a well-buttered 8 1/2-inch by 4 1/2-inch loaf pan. Bake the bread in the middle of your preheated 350�F. oven for 1 hour, or until your toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the bread pan.
The aroma of this bread alone wafting through your house makes this a family favorite recipe.