Apple Coffee Cake, Apple Turnovers, Apple Smoothie
But who can just put apples aside without making some special
apple cobbler, coffee cake or turnovers? Check out the recipes
for these special treats in this special APPLES edition of our
APPLE COFFEE CAKE
from Sue Gregg's BREAKFASTS AND ALLERGY ALTERNATIVES COOKBOOK
used by permission.
This is a whole grain recipe using the blender batter method,
no grain mill is required.
1. Preheat oven. Grease or spray baking pan, 11.5 X 8 preferred
or 9 X 13 Baking Pan
2. Cook apples with water over medium heat until tender; drain,
and coat evenly with cinnamon; set aside:
2 Cups apples, peeled thin slices cut in half
1/4 Cup water
1 tsp. cinnamon (add after apples are cooked)
3. Place in blender; blend on high speed 4-5 minutes
1 Cup buttermilk or non-dairy alternative
2 eggs (or alternative
3/4 cup honey (warm slightly if not easily pourable)
1 1/3 Cup whole wheat pastry whole grain or 1 1/2 Cups kamut
or spelt whole grain
4. Meanwhile, for topping, blend together in order given with
a fork; set aside:
4 TB butter (unsalted preferred)
4 TB Sucanat or crysatlline fructose
1 Cup uncooked rolled oats or 1/2 Cup flour
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup shopped walnuts
5. Mix into blender batter thoroughly, but breifly, using
blender and or rubber spatula, as needed:
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
6. Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Spread apple slices
evenly over the top and press into batter slightloy with a fork.
7. Bake at 325 degrees for 30 -40 minutes or until knife or
toothpick comes clean out of center of cake. Serve cake hot.
This is my daughters favorite apple dessert and she always
treats us to these top notch turnovers!
8 oz cream cheese
3/4 cup butter
1 egg separated
3 TB cold water divided
2 Cups flour
7 Cups of apples
3/4 cup sucanat or brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Mix together cream cheese and butter. Refrigerate egg
white, mix in the egg yolk and 2 TB of water to the cheese and
2. Gradually add the flour.
3. Refrigerate the dough for one hour.
4. While the dough is chilling, prepare the apples by tossing
the apples with sugar and cinnamon in a heavy skillet. Bring
to a bowl and reduce heat, cover and simmer 8-20 minutes. Remove
from heat to cool.
5. Turn pastry dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll
the dough to 1/8 in thickness.
6. Cut into squares. Fill with fruit mixture. About 1/2 cup
cooked fruit mixture per square.
7. Fold pastry over and seal the edges with a fork.
8. Whisk together 1 TB water and egg white, and brush over the
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 18 -22 minutes or until lightly browned.
Remove from oven and sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.
FROSTY APPLE SHAKE
Smoothies are a great way to have a nutritious and refreshing
drink. They are easy to make, just use whatever ingredients are
on hand and be creative.
Blend in blender until smooth:
1 Cup nonfat plain or vanilla yogurt
1 medium, tart apple, unpeeled, such as Jonathan, Golden Delicious,
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (opt)
1/16 tsp. cinnamon
2-3 ice cubes
Add one or more of any of the following ingredients per
serving for variety and added nutrition:
1-2 TB peanut butter
1 TB wheat germ
1 TB wheat bran
1 TB oat bran
1 TB Flax Seeds
1 TB Sunflower Seeds
1 TB almonds
1 TB sesame seeds